Thursday 26 December 2013

The summer of 1999 on Santorini


Continuing on into another summer I again worked in the same hotel but not in reception as I am a person with good interaction with people and my boss thought it would be better for me  to work in their bar restaurant which was fun as I had time to talk and suggest places to go and do while the guess stayed at the hotel and loved creating drinks and food from the bar that had the guess coming back again and again  .As in life some times all good things have to come to an end and for reasons I won't go into I left the hotel and needed to find another job as you all know it is not easy to do towards the end of summer ,but yes I found a job as a helper in Skala restaurant .Here I really learnt how to work and serve quickly and was the beginning of several years working as a waitress building my confidence and learning more skills and peoples skills .(On the whole it was another great and wonderful summer ) In my free time I would go swimming and now knowing a bit more about the island would meet up with visitors to show them around the island.

After a very busy evening at work myself and some of the staff would go to the local bar

hassapiko.oia@facebook.com

to unwind and we would sit outside on those hot nights with the  refreshing breeze from the archway it was a chance of meeting new people who came to the island to work and for friends to catch up on life (yes and also many starts of relationships ) It was  also known as our disco bar where the dj played some great music that had us dancing which I love to do and learnt several dance styles .When going into the end of the season here we would play the  league games of backgammon ,bridge and the game using dices as a way of unwinding and enjoying the early hours because of the ending of the season. T hey were the days for me were I could go at any time of the day on my own and feel at home and it was the place where I got my nickname Jamson and still is used today by very good friends .   


 

Funny thing about the streets of Santorini or villages even I did it for many years, you tend to only walk so far and think there is nothing beyond of interest but not so to my own experience for example this lane if you follow it will take you to some excellent views and takes you off the busy pathways.

   


 




No comments: