Wednesday 4 December 2013

My first job in Oia way back in the season of 1998

When i went to Oia for the first time way back in march of 1998 arriving on a cold very overcast windy morning, i asked myself what have i done and where am i going .Seeing everything boarded up and not a person insight you can imagine how i was feeling ... simple gee !!!!!!!!. But that all changed, started looking for a job and went for a few interviews and found myself working in one of the well known hotels in Oia in reception. That is when my love started for Oia and Santorini when my first understanding of tourism the enjoyment of finding information ,making reservations booking activities etc   





The island was then a mystery for me as i didn't even know where it was on the map let alone knowing or suggesting to guests at the hotel where to go and what to see, and having no knowledge of computers (But now i have become an expert hahaha )I found myself  in my free time checking out and asking chatting with the guest and local people to learning within a short time the places to go and where to eat.But as i still do today i check them out and make myself known as someone you don't mess with when it comes to  recommending or been i the company of visitors to the island .

   

The hotel was a great start of a journey for me that gave me an understanding that i love working in tourism and meeting people but keeping my principles of life never pretend you know all and never be afraid to ask and learn from others which i have been doing and also giving to the people i have come in contact with .I'm horned to be able to live here   

No comments: